roermond

These past two days have been a whirlwind. Filled with very good food, interesting conversation, and a lot of walking. So I'm happily enjoying my day off today with sore feet, a good book and a walk around town later before going to a party tonight. 

Wednesday was a big day for work & I started at 7:30 am and didn't get home until 8 pm! It was such an incredible day. The conference was a huge success & the day ended with a wonderful 'walking dinner' and red wine. 

{leek croquette}
{veal cheek with potato truffle mashed potatoes & crispy bacon}
{cream of cheesecake with marinated pineapple under white chocolate mousse & orange granite}

This dessert was one of the best desserts I've ever had. 
An observation of the food here: I've had the privilege of eating at some of the nicest places in America for work, and while I've enjoyed some very great food, nothing so far compares with the food in Europe. The food has such full flavor & great presentation. Additionally the ingredients are incredibly fresh, and you can taste the difference in the produce & meats as most everything is local. Portions are smaller, but filled with such rich ingredients you are satisfied quickly, I haven't seen an American sized portion of any of the restaurant food I've ordered my stomach is on cloud nine. You can tell they observe the golden rule of quality vs. quantity

Throughout the conference I was able to speak with people from France, Germany, Britain & Holland. One of the people I met was helping me plan my trip to London as said the tickets were "cheap as chips"! Such a cute expression. Working on my accent is quite different from what I'm used to as Spanish & Italian are very romantic languages, and French, Dutch & German require a 'throatier' pronunciation. I think they sound equally beautiful. I may name my son, dog, or car (if Lola ever dies) Frédéric because it is so much fun to say. 

{Tent where the conference was held}
{my favorite thing to see on my way to work...maybe I will name him Frédéric!}




Thursday I went to work for a meeting & spent the rest of the day in Roermond. Strangely though everything is in Dutch, I had no problem getting around. After 20 years my sense of direction has finally kicked in. I popped in and out of shops & talked to the locals. Everyone in Roermond is incredibly friendly, and the streets were filled with people sitting at outdoor cafes, or shopping. 


I was a bit obsessed with the doors in Roermond. 



After shopping and touring the town (and because get real, its me), I needed some grub. Everyone recommended Prinstteerlých for lunch.
 I had a Pils beer & a grilled lamb baguette. The beer was a bit too bitter for everyday drinking, but it was nice to taste. The baguette was delicious. The lamb was perfect. I really liked the atmosphere of Prinsteerlých, as with most places in Europe, there is outdoor seating where you can people watch (I had to people watch at the Gelato shop because Prinsteerlých was so packed only indoor seating was available), and inside was very posh. I saw a woman carrying a purse that I know is worth 10,000 dollars. INSANE. 



After lunch I stopped at the famous Le Bontà for chocolate. They are better than Willy Wonka because the chocolate was divine. I ordered an Earl Grey Dark Chocolate Truffle & it was like you were drinking tea while eating chocolate. Yum! 


Though the food in Roermond was great I have to admit I was looking forward to Jack's dinner. 

{pork with white asparagus, vegetables in asparagus sauce}

After dinner a group of us stayed up till the morning talking & drinking beer {Lindeboom, the local beer made about 4 km from here, is the best beer I've ever had.} I am so happy in this place. 

It was a perfect ending to a great day. 

Simply love, 

Veronica 












4 comments:

  1. We love you taking us in your experience:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going canuing we will came late you might want to call tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ronnie, it took Kelsey to figure out how to get our comments on here!! YAY So happy that u r enjoying urself and all ur favorite things.(FOOD) Stay safe, we love u and keep us updated with the blogs. They r so interesting to read. Love u girl!!

    ReplyDelete