comfort

This week I've felt a sense of comfort in my surroundings. 

I've gone on walks. 


Had too much dessert


Discovered some of my favorite sights in town


And I came back for Jack's food. 


But more than that, I've realized how comfortable I've gotten with these people. I moved into the intern house Monday and absolutely adore my roommates. Tyrrel is absolutely hilarious and the three of us have spent the nights cooking dinner together & having intense discussions on if Zimbabwe's ugliest man competition was fixed. 
The people I work with are just as wonderful. I'm spending this weekend in Passau with a friend & booked a ticket that granted me a 1 a.m.- 5 a.m. layover in Venlo. No big deal, right? Ample time to read & grab a cappuccino right? Wrong. Some problems:  

1. Venlo's train station closes its doors from it's last arrival at 1 a.m. till its first departure at 5 a.m. {Whoop for being the last/first person there}
2. Venlo doesn't tell you until after you've booked that you will be stuck outside for the said 4 hours. 
3. Apparently Venlo train station is kind of sketchy at night. 
4. Kind of sketchy as in its drug dealer central. 
5. With my ability to easily fit in the trunk of a car and susceptibility to be lured easily with strangers with food/candy, I make a prime target for kidnapping/sex trafficking/stuffing my organs with drugs to be smuggled across countries. 
6. Train tickets are non refundable. 

SO. After I found out those fun facts I was prepared to arm myself with a kitchen knife, umbrella & large blanket. However my wonderful coworker Mirriam made it her mission to find a way around that. She spent hours on the phone with the train station trying to change my ticket, and when that didn't work, a place that was open 24/7 (where is a McDonalds when you need one?). Finally we found Hotel Wilhelmina. They so graciously said I could chill in their hotel lobby and drink coffee & have cake. 
Mirriam is a life saver. Literally. 

Have I mentioned how much I love the people here? 








No comments:

Post a Comment