cinque terre :: italy

Cinque Terre felt like a dream.
I couch surfed with Marco, a true Italian that had an explanation for everything and and incredible appreciation for the detail in the simple things. He described life as you would a fine wine, and never turned down a chance to split a bottle of Merlot or an anchovy. 
In Italy my love for the simple things in life was reflected in the everyday lives of it's people. For instance Marco had two apartments. One with running water and electricity and one without utilities but with a garden and a hammock. 
So of course we stayed in the latter. 

In the mornings I would wake up to the old italian men arguing about the days catch outside my window and Marco watering the garden. 
I would then walk the path of Via Dell'amore to Manarolo for the best macchiattos in the world.
I saw Cinque Terre from the sea, as it was meant to be seen, while snacking on homemade foccaccia, prosecco, and olives.
We had a lunch in Manarola where we tried every seafood dish on the menu, drank way too much limoncello, and ended up giving the rest of the restaurant a showstopping performance of an impromptu kareoke, which was followed by a dance party on the boat before exploring caves.
 I went paddleboarding in Monterosso al Mare, and the feeling of standing up surrounded by sea was indescribable.
The rest of the weekend was spent dancing on cliff tops to an Italian band, cliff jumping, and swimming.
I had one of the most enjoyable dining experiences at Bagno di Campi, the restaurant Marco worked at, which was an hour and a half hike from Cinque Terre where I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life. Standing on the hill, watching the sun slowly set to colors you wish you could capture in paint, overlooking hillside vineyards and the villages, I had to pinch myself to remember I wasn't dreaming.
Then I got to the restuarant. 
Absolutely stunning views, with food that was incredibly fresh, and a dinner that lasted till midnight.
In Italy I regained a sense of wellness from being surrounded by natural beauty, and a big Italian serving of la dolce vita.

My heart felt full.


No comments:

Post a Comment