Finding inspiration in others

I feel like I'm consistently being inspired by others. Whether its the start of a new friendship, or the constant reminder of how absolutely lucky I am to be surrounded by my current friends, I realize that I learn and appreciate things through others. Wonderful people are in your life for a reason: to share in your happiness.


Do yourself a favor and read Olivia Rae's blog, Everyday Musings. I found this blog a while ago and loved it because its purpose is to simply share her musings on life, and the joy that comes with good friends, family, travels and food. If I weren't so technologically resistant my blog would be as extensive as hers. I will be better.

Due to the blog of a whimsical freelance journalist/photographer and the wonderful people God has surrounded me with who push me to fulfill my everyday with things of interest verses routine, I've been continually inspired to live. I've always been rambunctious in my ambitions for life, and in the vibrance by which I intend to live it, but I think sometimes, when school and work create habits of routine, you lose sight of the little things that make you happy, and that make you feel alive :) So I made a list of little things to make me happy, that I can easily do more often in my week to allow me to relax and enjoy a break in the craziness of my week. 

1. Read more

I have a little problem with reading. I get overtly excited once I get to the library and leave with at least 6 books. Then I debate on which one to read first, get excited by a new book and surprise! 6 more books on my nightstand. I've decided to make a new goal to read a book a week, and channel all time I've been devoting to checking mindless email and looking at Pintrest recipes {my recipe board on pintrest accounts for 90% of my pins...I have a problem with food blogs} to reading, and reading things that will fill my mind with thoughts, provoke questions, and inspire me to see through the mind of others. 

On my list: 



I've heard from two people that this book is the best they've ever read, and one to read by the time I graduate. It's a story of self discovery & reflection. 


I'm currently reading Transparent Things by Nabokov and it's an incredible look at literature as defamiliarization of ordinary life. In a collection of his short stories I read the first 10 chapters of Lolita, and though the subject matter is dark, his writing is incredibly beautiful. It provides insight into the thoughts of someone society perceives as successful, while having perverse intentions. I think this had such an influence when it came out, it would be negligent not to read it due to its taboo content. 

Currently reading: 



Read this book! Its a very easy read, and an inspiring look at the life of one of my favorite modern artists, Georgia O'Keeffe. 

2. Climbing....Climb on!

I discovered rock climbing last semester and am addicted. The people are chill, the feeling after getting a new route in comparable to winning the cinnamon challenge, finding a cure for bad breath, or making the perfect breakfast (obviously everyone knows that feeling). Its literally the purest happiness. Climbing rocks. My favorite. Oh and my parter Maggie is the best. We met because she is a yoga instructor, and when we figured out each other 1. rockclimb & 2. were in dire need of a parter, we high fived, became parts and boom= wonderful friendship. This chick is awesome, she is continually encouraging, always willing to life chat, and always dancing. 

See that person? That's me! Yup, just another day climbing. Not really, that's my husband, Alex Honnold. He is a freestyle climber. Freestlye climbing basically means you climb insane things without anything. No rope. Just yo hands. His goofy smile, and the fact that he lives out of his van only to travel to the next mountain to climb, makes him an ideal life parter. So Alex, if you're reading this. Hit me up. Next year I'll be in Europe, come and climb the Eiffel Tower; I'll be waiting at the bottom with baguettes and fromage. 

3. Embrace my Wanderlust
I love traveling. Like probably more than anything in the world. Except for cheese & wine, but traveling and those delights in life usually go hand in hand for me. I like all kind of travel, whether it's a swanky weekend in the Amelia Islands staying at the Ritz (where I am going tomorrow NBD. scratch that hecka big deal, I'm so excited and blessed to be going for work!) or when a few friends split gas and road trip to a small town for a hole in the wall diner that has the best buttermilk pie in Texas, new places and new people make me unbelievably happy. I love hearing peoples stories, and indulging my curiosity in seeing new things and experiencing all. While I love college, I'm probably one of the few people who are excited to be out in the world. Sure I'll be slumming it in Europe, but the opportunities, the people and the memories to be made are the things that fill my dreams. Of course I'm enjoying every second of my time here in good ol' Cstat, home of some of the best people in the world :)  

This weekend: (EEEP!!)
 This is where I'll be staying this Wednesday-Sunday. NOT KIDDING.
Ecstatic. Ready to destress from school, get some work done, and catchup with old friends while staying at this incredible resort. 

Dallas Weekend:

So this isn't my most recent roadtrip but has been one of my favorites, my best friend Sisi and I accompanied our wonderful friends Jpaul and Austin to stay the weekend in Dallas at the sweetest old couples house in the world. While Jpaul worked and Austin went to the Arkansas game, Sisi and I lounged around the pool for hours talking over coffee & strawberries, went to the museums, found an incredible four star restaurant that was located inside a gas station, and ate wine & cheese for every meal. It was wonderful. 




4. Blog more
For the oh, 5 people that read this blog (again, thanks fam), I know you check my blogsite every day and are always incredibly disappointed when you see my spaciness/business has once again led to sporadic blogging, so I promise to blog more to keep you folks happy. 

Lies. That disappointment just described was the feeling I get when I check my food blogs and they haven't put up a new post. I told you, I'm addicted. But in all honestly, blogging, regardless if it is read or not, makes me happy (and lets my mother know what I'm up to). 

5. Live a bit more simply, and love a lot more. 
Self explanatory. Implement it. Tell others when they make you happy, and live without something and give it to someone else. 

Do it. 

Simply love, Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment