liège :: belgium



I think I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie.
Friday I discovered that a bungee jumping tower in Liège, Belgium, about an hour train ride away from where I live. I posted a very last minute request on Couch Surfing so I would be able to stay to visit the longest European market held every Sunday in Liege, "le Marché de la Batte". 

I think I’m also a bit of a market junkie.

Once I arrived my wonderful host Hatim picked me up and came with me bungee jumping.
I loved it. Once you jump you immersed in a tidal wave of sky where your mind has no reference point. It was wonderful. I'm going skydiving as soon as it stops raining in Holland. 

Hatim showed me around Liège, and we went of the Montagne de Bueren aka the stairs of pain. 

But a beautiful reward. 


After our climb I thought it was time for a gastronomical reward and bought some Belgium chocolates. Oh my lord. Dark chocolate covered orange rind & white chocolate café crème ganache were my top two.
Then Hatim taught me about the wonderful world of Belgium beer. We grabbed an assortment and I tried three of the seven best beers in the world. Ironically the best beer is specialty beer made in small batches by monks. They are called Trappist beers and the monks use the water under the Abbeys, so (technically) you are drinking holy water in a sense. The beer tasted heavenly, so I believe it. 

The rest of the day consisted of Beatles songs, beers in the park and the sweetest honeydew I’ve ever tasted.
The next morning I left to the market with a cup of oregano coffee and some great memories. 

Liège, you were good to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment